April 07, 2015
Change in the Air
We’re embracing the change of seasons. Try your hand at this light but warming recipe for Yellow Curry Tofu from our Head Chef Rohan – with fragrant curried tofu complemented by a lovely crisp salad and a punch of lime.
Yellow curry tofu, served with bean sprout, coriander, sesame and chilli salad, to feed 4 people.
For the curry paste
4 coriander roots
1 small knob of ginger
2 fresh red chilli
1 stick of lemon grass (bashed and diced)
8 garlic cloves
½ cup water
¼ cup canola oil
2 star anise
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1. Peel shallots, ginger and garlic.
2. Cut the top third of the lemon grass stick off and dice very finely. Bash the bulb end with a rolling pin and remove the outside 2 layers.
3. Cut all vegetables into 1cm dice and blend all paste ingredients in a food processor or blender until the mixture forms a very fine paste.
For the curry sauce
2 cups coconut milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 tablespoons Tamari soy sauce
Juice of 2 limes
300g ( 3 cups) firm tofu (Tonzu tofu is available from most good supermarkets)
1. Heat oil to very hot in a large pan, add paste and fry for 5mins, or until the paste has lightly coloured and when you inhale, the chilli tickles your nostrils.
2. Add coconut sugar and cook for further 5 minutes, allowing the sugar to caramelise slightly.
3. Quickly add coconut milk, soy sauce and bruised lemongrass.
4. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat and add lime juice.
5. Add tofu into the hot sauce crushing it through your fingers as you go.
For the crisp salad
1½ cups bean sprouts
½ cup (1 bunch) of roughly chopped coriander
1 red chilli, finely sliced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds.
Combine all salad ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
To serve: ladle curry tofu into 4 bowls and serve with crisp salad on top and a wedge of fresh lime.
ShareBack to articles